|(Source: USAREUR Military History Office – Online Medical Histories, 2002)|
HERE’S A PLACE THAT HAS MORE PHOTOS: www.usarmygermany.com
The 97th was selected for special service to aid in the Berlin air-lift in 1948-49; for its support of the operation, it was awarded the “Army of Occupation Medal with the Berlin Air-Lift Device”.
On 1 January 1954, the hospital was redesignated US Army Hospital, Frankfurt operated by the 97th General Hospital with a total expandible bed capacity of 1,000.
The 97th General Hospital and the Frankfurt Army Regional Medical Center (FARMC) is the largest and busiest in Europe. Comprised of 11 troop medical clinics, 22 dental clinics, 3 veterinary detachments and numerous other field and TO&E units spanning a 100 mile radius. The 97th General Hospital is authorized an operating bed level of 330 plus 30 remaining overnight beds for evacuation patients. The hospital functions as the medical evaluation center for patients being evacuated to the United States. It also operates a regional neonatal intensive care unit for the dependents of US Army Forces in Europe. The hospital provides specialized treatment in 22 areas to include: allergy, audiology, cardiology, dermatology, gastroenterology, internal medicine, dentistry, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedics, pediatrics, pulmonary disease, psychiatry, rheumatology and urology. The 97th General Hospital and the Frankfurt Army Regional Medical Center continues to function as the home of concerned care.