GERMERSHEIM ARMY DEPOT

The 24/7 depot sits on more than 430 acres of land and is about a 90-minute drive from any U.S. military base service. Of the depot’s approximately 850 employees, only about 165 are DOD ID holders so there is a heavy reliance on the local economy. Garrison employees include public works personnel, security staff, firefighters and postal workers.
Originally used after WWII as a U.S. Army storage site for equipment, it was officially established as an Army depot Oct. 18, 1951, and named Germersheim Ordnance Vehicle Park with a mission to store, receive, and issue equipment and supplies in support of U.S. Army in Europe. At the time, it was the only vehicle park in theater that could store 25,000 vehicles, to include trucks, jeeps, ambulances, armored cars, tractors and trailers.