SOURCE: (GLOBAL SECURITY)
Wolfgang Kaserne, as a result of enormous construction, is currently a modern facility housing the Hanau military comunity’s shopping and entertainment district.
Wolfgang Kaserne, present site of the main exchange and commissary, was originally built in the Bulau Forest before WWI and served as one of the king’s powder factories during that war. It was dismantled shortly after the end of the war. It was upgraded between 1936 and 1938 by the former “Herresamnt” for use as an ammo depot. It served as an ammunition depot during WWII and as a research and development site for ammunition and chemical warfare materials before being taken over by the Americans.
Soon after the occupation of the demilitarized Rhineland, Wolfgang got a larger military garrison: in 1936/37 the Argonner barracks were built southwest of the housing estate, in 1938/39 the pioneer barracks west of the Hanau-Bebra Railway. Particularly striking is the fan shape of the pioneer barracks with extensive open spaces for parking vehicles and its own connection to the railway line.
The barracks, which were only slightly damaged, were taken over by the US Army after the Second World War and expanded (Pioneer-housing, Wolfgang-Kaserne), whereby the name largely remained unchanged. However, the name of the Argonner barracks was prejudiced, as it was chosen during the Nazi era to commemorate the battles of the First World War in the Argonnerwald. However, the Meuse-Argonne Offensive was also the greatest victory for the US expeditionary forces in world war I.
As part of the US garrison in Hanau, which numbered up to 20,000 military personnel, Wolfgang was significantly influenced by the Americans in the post-war period. However, private contacts between Germans and Americans were rare below the officer level in later times. This was due on the one hand to the decline of the dollar exchange rate, on the other hand to the generous equipment of the barracks with their own community center, shopping facilities, school, infirmary and sports facilities, which is why the Americans increasingly limited their lives to the isolated areas of the barracks and housing areas. The last units were withdrawn in 2008.