The ‘Schloss’ itself was build in the mid 1600’s. Since the 1800’s it was used as a Kaserne. After WW2 the american forces took over the premisses. Many units were stationed here, including infantry, military police and the NCO academy of the 3rd arm. division. Because of its historic background, it was called ‘the oldest US installation in germany’. In 1991 the US army left Schloss Kaserne in Butzbach.