ANDREWS BARRACKS

BERLIN GERMANY

(SOURCE: AMERICANS IN BERLIN)

Starting in 1947, the barracks bore the name of Lieutenant General Frank Maxwell Andrews (1884–1943), the former commander of US Armed Forces in Europe, who died when his B-24 crashed during an inspection flight over Iceland. Following the Americans’ withdrawal, the site was redeveloped and has served as a German Federal Archives location since 1995.