FORT RUCKER ALABAMA

(SOURCE: MILITARY BASE)

Fort Rucker, Alabama is the home of the Army Aviation Warfighting Center of Excellence (USAACE). This Army installation is located in Dale County, 80 miles from Montgomery, Alabama.

The history of Fort Rucker is closely associated with World War Two. Seven days after the United States entered the war in 1941, Congress approved funding of approximately $10 billion specifically for defense; a draft was initiated and in support of that a large number of training facilities and bases had to be opened. One of the bases created in that surge was Fort Rucker.

Fort Rucker is named after the Civil War officer, Colonel Edmund W. Rucker, who was later awarded an honorary promotion to General.

ANDREWS BARRACKS

BERLIN GERMANY

(SOURCE: AMERICANS IN BERLIN)

Starting in 1947, the barracks bore the name of Lieutenant General Frank Maxwell Andrews (1884–1943), the former commander of US Armed Forces in Europe, who died when his B-24 crashed during an inspection flight over Iceland. Following the Americans’ withdrawal, the site was redeveloped and has served as a German Federal Archives location since 1995.

GIESSEN ARMY DEPOT

GIESSEN GERMANY

The Giessen Depot, once known as the Giessen Support Center, also home of the 284th BSB Headquarters, is located in Giessen, a city situated in northeast Hesse approximately 60 miles north of Hanau. The 284th BSB was officially activated in a ceremony in Giessen on April 24, 1998. Pendleton Barracks is located just a few blocks from Giessen Depot.

This 522-acre plot of ground, former grazing fields for the local farming community, was identified in 1920 as an ideal landing site for small aircraft. 

INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/giessen.htm

PHOTOS BY MARKUS MILDENBERG

HOME SITE OF MARKUS MILDENBERG: THE-DIGITAL-EYES.DE
THE PHOTOS ABOVE ARE LOCATED HERE: AFTER THE TROOPS LEFT